Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Go Vols!...and our fans are crazy...and a 'that's what she said'

First, sorry about quitting on you last night. That game was painful to watch, especially for someone who was hoping that UL would lose. They really make Marquette look terrible; I don't know if Marquette is terrible, but they looked like poo last night. I'm just glad Sosa finally had a good game; he, like my blog, is likeable. That's a joke...both of them.

We Cat fans now get to root for a team that is equally frustrating as our own, UT. After watching them last weekend, I wonder how they win...ever. Not only are their players stupid, but Bruce Pearl is absolutely moronic. I trust that they will be able to play an up-and-down game with the Gators, thus they should win easily at home. If the Gators play like they did against Arkansas, they'll lose by 200. If they don't, they might win. I truly believe it to be possible that UF could win, or lose, this game by 20.

I won't be live-blogging for this one, as I should probably spend more time doing homework (drinking). Seriously, no live blog. I got shit to do! Back off!

I'm sure you have all read the Mark Story article abou Cats Pause posters bashing recruits, notably Dakotah Euton, Darius Miller, and Aaron Boyd. It was mentioned on TCP message boards, then re-hashed on KSRadio, and now re-hashed by me! I'm such a follower. Anyway, it's a very good article about how a bunch of rednecks (I was going to change this when I was proofreading because I'm bitching about name-calling, but seriously, we've all been to games) post online about Euton and Miller sucking, and how it upsets the families of these players. I've always wondered why our fans do this, as it seems very elementary, stupid, and borderline psychotic. Then, I think about the people around me at UK basketball and football games, and it makes more sense. As much as I love UK, 75% (is that fair?) of our fans are psychos. Seriously, if they were evaluated by Dr. Phil (or someone else that does this sort of thing), they'd be clinically psychotic. I really do love the passion these fans have, but when you're trashing a 16 year old kid on the one hand, and whining about the lack of respect we get on the other, don't you think we may be "shittin' where we eat?" I realize that term doesn't exactly fit there, but when am I going to be able to use it again?

Go to the boards and read what is written by these people. Or, better yet, pay attention at games. Why in God's name would Aaron Boyd go to UK after watching the way his brother was treated? No wonder it's down to us and Oregon. His thought process, most likely, is 'I can stay here at home, play in front of my family, and do at UK what my brother only dreamed of...or I can get as far away from these creeps and weirdos as possible.' I guess we won't know until tomorrow, but don't be shocked if he's a Duck.

I guess my main point is that trashing our players is stupid, but trashing recruits is unbelievably stupid. I've trashed players on this very blog, and I, most likely, will continue to do so. However, I try to keep my real feelings from seeping on to these pages when I'm really angry and irrational because, at least I like to think, I'm not psychotic. I will admit that I don't think Coury is good, Bradley's basketball IQ has looked to be somewhere around the upper-teens, and Ramon Harris has looked clueless and scared, but I defend those statements as being warranted. Further, I'll admit that it's stupid of me to do those things, but hey, it's my job (what?). I know these guys have worked their asses off, and I don't think I've ever represented them unfairly. And, to be sure, I drunkenly gave Dakotah Euton a hug after the UK-UL football game this year. Or I gave some guy who looked like Dakotah Euton a hug, tough to say.

When it comes down to it, the fact that fans feel the need to trash the probable Mr. Basketball in the state (Darius Miller) and a 16 year old makes me uneasy. We sit and wonder why we don't get all the recruits, why we're the butt of jokes, why we don't get calls, why opposing fans hate us, and then we go and post that a pimply-faced sophomore is too fat and slow to play for UK. Hmm, seems pretty obvious.

I love the message boards and KSRadio, I think they are a great place for some chatter and, typically, a great place for news and humor (mostly the latter there). But, I feel that some people may need to dial-down their psychotic behavior, or the stereotypes about us will only be accentuated. To clarify, when I say psychotic, I don't mean it in the loose way that has become popular in American vernacular; I mean actually psychotic.

I agree 100% that UK is a great place to play, something our fans say a lot. Whether it be football or basketball, we have very loyal and passionate fans that will show up to every game. But you better be good, because it is clear that we will turn on you in a hot second.

Wow, that got long. Ah, there it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know how i know UT is gay? They play on a court named after a womens basketball coach.

Train