Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Let's Be Professional About This

I'm not sure how the AD and head coaches interact, but I have an idea. I assume that, once the season ends, they talk about the direction of the program, some goals, some regrets, and what they can do moving forward. I could be wrong, but I'm probably close.

With Gillispie and Barnhart, I don't see that dynamic. I imagine the athletic office being very somber, Gillispie entering Barnhart's office, and both men sitting and staring at one another. After several tense minutes, Barnhart will rise and shut the door. At this time, they will both loosen their ties, relax, and laugh maniacally. Because what the fuck?

I doubt this would ever occur, but I don't think that it would be unfair for Barnhart, once the season ends, to call Gillispie to his office and force him to watch film.

First, he'd pop in the VMI game, and say, "Billy, what the fuck?" Then the Ole Miss game. Then the Mississippi State game. Then last night's game. Hell, he may even show him some tape from games that UK won. All the while he'd ask the same question, "what the fuck?"

As in, what's our plan? Is it really for Meeks to score 45 every game? Because that's how it looks. Meeks is great and deserves the ball every possession, but we have to have some other plan if he's stopped. I know last night was more difficult without Patterson, but still, there have to be other options.

After discussing the team's play, I'd imagine they'd have to go into the personnel issues. As in, why does Ramon Harris play more than Galloway? Why does Michael Porter play more than Liggins? Why does Michael Porter play point guard? Why didn't Harrellson play more against Vandy? You know, perhaps Liggins wouldn't play with his face on fire if he knew he was allowed more than 3 minutes or 1/2 of a mistake. It's very confusing, Billy, because it's so arbitrary. You understand, don't you?

Gillispie would then offer some variation of "aw shucks" and cry. We'll be going through this same cycle next year. We still have not improved a bit since day one of 2007.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I agree with playing Galloway more..He's a playmaker. If Meeks isn't going I think Galloway seems to take the go-to role a hell of a lot better than Porter.

I saw Harrelson get burned twice early on..Billy G was right to keep him on the bench. Bottom line, Patterson needs to get back ASAP.