Monday, January 21, 2008

Way to go, MLK!!!

No school!!!!

The weekend had way to much stuff happen for me to simply write a post in paragraph form, so, instead, I'm going with a list of bold headers.

Nick Calathes
This kid is good. He, in fact, is very good. Not only was he dishing out assists and making plays all night, but he, not Julius...er, Walter(please read the comments for evidence of my mortality) Hodge, buried the dagger. We had the overtime momentum until Calathes shook free on the wing and drained a three. When that one fell, I knew we would have a tough time recovering. As for his spat with Ramel, I think his actions were slightly misrepresented by the UK faithful. He didn't knock Bradley over; he came to get the ball aggressively out of excitement, but he didn't maliciously knock Bradley to the floor. More on this later...

Or now...

Ramel Bradley
Until the last fifteen seconds, I had a blog post written in my head about the ridiculousness of Ramel Bradley. Then he hit that three. Anyway, here's the abridged version: Ramel Bradley is a jackass. I guess I mean that in the best way possible, but the Calathes incident pissed me off. I can see being frustrated with the offensive foul call and Calathes coming to take the ball from him compounding that, but don't flop. It makes you look like a bitch. If anything, get in the kid's face or something. It's no coinicidence that you are always in the middle of these little spats. I love your passion, I know you play hard, but you need to learn how to make good decisions. I'm fine with you getting into it with other guys (not like that...but that's cool too, I guess), but do it to create a competetive advantage. Go ahead, get in their heads. Just don't flop. You know who likes to flop...

Greg Paulus
Douche.

Mike Patrick
First of all, Mike Patrick is the ugliest man on the planet. He looks like a Star Trek character. Secondly, watching him call a Duke game is like watching a propoganda film in real time. I wish I had video to back this up, but I have no idea how to move things from my TV to my computer. Oh, and that's not an invitation for people to tell me how to do it, either. Anyway, during the first half of Saturday's Duke/Clemson game, there were to curious calls within five minutes of on another. Calls by Patrick, not the refs. The first occurred when there was a loose rebound that a Clemson player reached before Duke's Mcclure. I guess, since it's impossible to out-hustle a Duke player in Patrick's idiot mind, there had to be a foul. And he said, straight-up, the Duke player was "mugged, but no call." The funny thing here is that the player wasn't mugged; he was simply late getting to the ball. The second instance came about fifteen seconds later, when Nolan Smith was called for a foul in the backcourt. For the record, Nolan Smith was slapping the balls off the Clemson player bringing the ball up, and he fouled him about 80 times before it was called. Anyway, Patrick described this as "Smith dogging his man." So, when Clemson doesn't foul and gets to the ball first they are mugging Duke, but when Duke fouls, it's because of hard and well-played defense. Mike Patrick is an asshole.

UK/UF officiating
I don't like to talk bad about refs, but this game was a little ridiculous. There were numerous instances when UK was called for a foul and the replay showed zero contact. The best example was the Calathes leaner in the lane, where Meeks literally ran by him. Another good one came when Meeks was called for a foul on the press, when he was standing behind Jai Lucas. I'm sure we got a few calls, but I felt short-handed a bit. Oh well.

UL/Seton Hall
Ouch.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never seen a team flop as regularly as Duke. It's one thing to try and take a charge, but they fall down after jump shots when a defender may only have a hand in their face.

Anonymous said...

I didnt know Julius Hodge had healed from his gunshot, quit the Nuggets, gone back to NC State and then transferred to Florida.

Pretty impressive.

Gene Parmesan said...

Yeah, I know. Man, I can't believe he quit the Nuggets.

Wow. My bad. I can't believe no one else caught that. Good work, gentle reader.

Sue Ellen Mishky said...

Those headers aren't bold.