Friday, December 14, 2007

College Football Will Never be the Same

The Mitchell Report is not the most tragic announcement occuring in sports over the last 24 hours. Instead, it is the announcements coming from OSU QB Todd Boeckmann (I hope I spelled that wrong) and UL WR Mario Urrutia. These two largely meaningless athletes have entered their names into the NFL Draft.

In Urrutia's case, I don't think he caught a single pass this season. He had one of the best QB's in the nation and he was the third or fourth best receiver on his team. Although certainly NFL-sized, "Super" Mario is nothing short of a failure. I guess that may be harsh, but he is a big-time underachiever.

I didn't see Todd Boeckmann play, so my analysis of him is completely unfair. However, judging from past OSU QB's, he blows donkey balls. I don't care what anyone says, but the Big 10 is shit, so his inflated numbers are skewed (I don't even know if he has good numbers). Remember Troy Smith? Yeah, he sucked too.

Anthony Allen's transfer is going to be a huge deal if he comes out and says that he wants to go to Arkansas. UL is showing their true colors by blocking him, which is bullshit. I understand their anger towards Petrino, but Allen is the one getting punished. You don't play Arkansas, let him go with Petrino if he wants to. Hell, 50% of your fanbase would probably go too.

I cannot believe Randy Velarde juiced. Is anyone else astounded at some of those names? I mean, if Velarde batted .260 people would be like, "something's up with him." Jerry Hairston Jr.? The fact that guys who made it to the majors because of their gloves decided to use some sort of performance-enhancing drugs is alarming. I suppose, especially in these guys cases, as well as Clemens and Pettitte, that the drugs are more for expedited healing and career-lengthening. I don't see why every player isn't tested monthly. Get 'roids out of baseball; stop pretending you care so much and you're such a badass, Selig. You let these d-bags walk all over you and juice right in your face. Fuck the Players Union and test these fools.

I'm sure there are millions of reasons why the Players Union is allowed to block mandatory testing. I'm sure, also, that those reasons are shitty.

Here's to hoping Mike Davis loses his mind again...

More tomorrow...

No comments: