Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ronny Cedeno's grand slam, and why the Cubs are good

Amazing, for two reasons.

1. He didn't strike out with the bases loaded in TWO CONSECUTIVE GAMES!!! Moreover, he produced runs!!!

2. Ronny Cedeno can hit a home run?

When Soriano went down, someone provided me with a comment, saying that losing our "lead-off" hitter would be addition by subtraction. I filed it as mindless retard-babble at the time, but...

...including the game Hoppy McHorribleoutfielder went down, the Cubs are 7-1. In the previous 12 games, they were 7-5. I was hoping there would be more of a discrepancy there. Shit.

...they have out-scored opponents 67-28 over the last 8, while during the "Soriano Days" they have been out-scored 60-59. We have scored eight more runs in 4 fewer games.

...Soriano, either batting 1st or 2nd, was 10 for 57 in his first 12 games, for an average of .175, and an OBP of .230. By comparison, the cheese-dicks that we've thrown at the top in his place (R. Johnson and Mike Fontenot thrice, Corey Patterson's shit-ass brother once) put up almost identical #'s batting .171 w/ an OBP of .237. Thus, the guy we're paying 80 trillion dollars to play, produces at the rate of pseudo-minor league players.

...the man I've been campaigning for, Theriot, has batted .481, with an OBP of .533!!! He has 13 hits, and that's only in 6 games b/c he's been hurt the last two.

I'm not saying we should release Soriano or anything, it just makes no sense to me that he bats lead-off. He doesn't bunt, take pitches, or reach base. Theriot reaches like crazy, as does Fukudome. Hell, bat anyone up there who won't rip at every fucking pitch. Bat Soriano third, where he can drive in runs.

I don't understand. If anyone still reads this blog, tell me why I'm wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want credit for the addition by subtraction comment (MLA format not necessary).

Broseph