Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My first NCAA violation!

Hooray! I broke my NCAA violation cherry! Huzzah!

Apparently, interviewing recruits when not part of a major news organization is a compliance issue. Who knew? The Deuce interview was up for almost 48 hours, and yesterday we (although he only addressed Beisner) got an email from Matt Jones, who informed us that this was a violation. I didn't believe him, and took this as a weak attempt at destroying our website empire. However, I spoke with UK's compliance office this morning, and, sure enough, it's a violation. I think Jones sensationalized it a bit, saying that "UK could get in big trouble," but it's a violation no less. He was all over it. So, thanks. We would've never known.

The compliance man was very friendly, though, and he explained the reasons to me. If you recall the MySpace situation, where UK fans and the like would contact recruits and act like a-holes, trying to get them to come to UK. According to the rule, any association to a school makes you a Booster, even if you do not financially boost anyone. So, our interview with Deuce, though all info and little UK-persuasion, was illegal. So, it's gone. There will be no more recruit interviews, but we will talk w/ current and former UK athletes. Jules Camara is next.

For now, I'm going to lay low.

I'm not, actually.

No comments: