Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It's time for DP

Not that DP, sickos. I'm talking about David Padgett, and I'm ready to praise him.

Normally, this space is reserved for irrational attacks on UL players, but not today. I've always liked David Padgett, if for no other reason than his protruding vein. Yesterday, he was named a first-team all Big East-er, and he deserves it more than anyone.

It's painfully obvious that UL's team IQ jumps about 80 points when he plays, and I'm really glad that didn't go unnoticed. I think people fall in love with athletes who have awesome dunks, and guys like Padgett are afterthoughts. The importance of knowing the game is always overlooked, especially by recruiting gurus. Padgett, more than anyone I've seen at UL, knows how to play.

This isn't necessarily a knock on UL, but they've always had great athletes, just not guys who knew how to play. With Padgett, this current group of super-athletes can be harnessed into a cohesive unit that doesn't rely on jacking threes every possession. Still, he doesn't get as many shots as he should. You can only ask for so much, I guess.

Regardless, I'm really happy for him. He's had so many shitty injuries in his career, after entering Kansas with a world of promise. It's good to see a deserving player get recognized for his achievements. I say deserving because, and I mean this, if I had to choose between Padgett and Psycho D, I choose Padgett. Hansbrough makes garbage shots, but Padgett makes his entire team exponentially better. There's really no way to judge his talent; it lies within the successes of his teammates. His line is often unimpressive, unless UL needs points from him, and he goes for 25.

He's the ultimate team player, and I'm super happy that he'll finally be out of UL. I've been secretly jealous of them for the last couple of years, especially having to watch Woo clang around in the post.

Anyway, next time I see DP at Molly's staring at the floor, I'll give him a high-five.

I won't ruin the niceties above by ranting about T-Will being 2nd team. Basically, do it yourself. Read all the nice things I say, and reverse them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am really impressed that you took the time to praise DP on your blog, it would have been much easier to just bite your toungue for another few weeks or so until he is gone, but that was truly gracious. On behalf of all (3) of your UofL faithful readers, thanks for writing that. I think I'll go get Blitzed!

Unknown said...

*wiping tear from eye*

Why did you have to remind me that the best party ramp in college basketball is a senior? I've been trying to convince myself that he's coming back next year.

Adam said...

Man what a tearjerker of a column. You'll write the same thing about T-Will next year just you wait.

Have fun it Cat-lanta ya fool.

Anonymous said...

No more positive UL columns E. Padgett was dominated last night. adam