Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Spot On, Spot On...

If anyone reads this site before they read Kentucky Sports Radio, I'd be surprised and slightly disappointed. However, if anyone has yet to read the "Anatomy of a Card Fan" piece, you are missing the greatest and most important piece of American literature since Matt Christopher penned The Counterfeit Tackle. He is deftly able to articulate what I have been to stupid to say on my own but have forever thought about MOST UL fans that I know. I want to strongly stress MOST for some of my loyal readers. Going to school in a city like Danville, KY would prevent me from having to be around hardly any annoying UL fans, or so I thought. The problem was that I ran into many lost souls who wanted to rebel and be something other than a UK fan. The edgy, redneck, Dixie Highway-white-trash attitude became so sickening to me that I found myself hating them more and more each day to the point where I couldn't even stomach saying 'I mean, I don't hate Louisville.' I hate Louisville. I do. I want more than anything for two things to happen this weekend: 1) We beat UL and send their 'L' flashing asses home losers, and 2) that my dog finally poops. It's been a couple days--I'm kind of worried.

Sorry to have come on so strong but the article on KSR just hit every point that I've been searching for since my hatred began. Realize, though, I don't necessarily hate ALL UL players. In fact, I only hate a few select basketball players and maybe some football players (I hate the entire baseball team but no one cares about them anymore). Brian Brohm is very good and very classy and I really hope he does well next year. The combination, though, of the line-bearded fanbase and the hype machine that is the city from whence I came has only made me want nothing but failure for these guys who's only fault is signing with a team that I despise. I've seen these guys out at bars and generally they tend to be normal college guys who love attention. Of course there are many exceptions, as the basketball players act like tools and some of the football guys do the same, but I don't see that as their fault so much. The problem is the fat losers with their 'L' hats on that are constantly surrounding and protecting them like groupies--these are the assholes giving the players the bad name. This city doesn't have a pro sports team--perhaps that's why these guys are the main attraction. But God, leave them alone you losers; they don't want to hang out with you, they just want to run a train on some skank you went to high school with.

I know this has gone all over the place but I kind of just let myself ramble. I hope you understand. Oh, and don't tell me that I hate UL now because they're good--I hated them before now. It was just easier to say I didn't when we beat your ass all the time. I've rooted against you in every game you've ever played in for as long as I can remember. When I told any one of you that I was rooting for you to beat Cincinnati or Tennessee I was completely lying; I would be over-joyed to watch a Tony Harris/Ron Slay-led UT team bomb the Cards.

I leave you now with a quote from a friend of mine that beautifully sums up what UL fandom is all about. With him coming from the NKY/Cincy area, I asked him if Cincy fans were this bad, to which he responded, "there is no breed of fan like a UL fan."

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Evan, you're slowly losing your "spot" on The Bass...

Anonymous said...

2 things...

#1 I am pretty sure you can take that last "epiphany" of a statement and replace UL with UK and it will stick just as well.

#2 I am assuming you were referring to basketball when you said UK "beat our ass all the time"...?

What is the football record since 1994? UL - 9, UK - 3

That's what I thought. Smell you later.

Unknown said...

i just think it's funny that half of the 'Ville are UK fans. also, the record since '94 is UL-9 UK-4.

Anonymous said...

Little brother grew up and is now more successful than his once cool older bro.

UK, yeah you were cool in the 40's, but now your old and nobody cares about your marvelous stories before the cotton gin was invented. UL is young, hot and successful, something UK isn't anymore.

Jealousy rears its ugly head.

Memo to UK fan, now go log on catspause for 23 consecutive hours and wait to see what 12 year old billy is recruiting. Forget the fact it's september and it's football season, but hey you guys are used to talking basketball by the 2nd week in september aren't ya?

regards,
concerned rantastic reader

Anonymous said...

Evan you are completely wrong. I no longer claim you as my brother. I hate Kentucky and all of their fans. GO CARDS!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jed: I also completely renounce my Kentucky fanship. Josh, Higdon, and Brockman, I apologize for being wrong for all these years. Do any of you have a hat that I can borrow for Saturday? GO CARDS!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey there fella, stop pretending to be me. Though I can understand why you would do so. Me being a Cat fan and all. Anyway, stop that Higdon.

Anonymous said...

I just realized that I do hate UofL much more now party b/c they are good and more so because I can't ever stop hearing about it. I think if I still lived out in the sticks of Henry County I could like UofL.....but I'm not moving back there and the media and bad fans (there's a difference) make it impossible for me to want anything good to happen for the cards, despite my best efforts. I'll keep trying but if they could just discontinue all of their sports operations, I would be much happier. I'll write a letter to Jurich to see if he'll comply.