Sunday, July 27, 2008

Thank You Ted Turner

I still remember that day, just over two years ago on July 25, 2006, when ESPN announced they were terminating their relationship with Baseball Tonight's Harold Reynolds after he allegedly sexually harassed anywhere from one to 100 women. (Okay, so I looked up the date on Wikipedia after having this idea for a post and it just happened to be almost two years ago exactly, but I do remember it.) It was a dark day at Audobon Parkway, where Evan and I, like most college grads, were living with his parents, drinking Eddie's High Lifes, never missing a Sunday doubleheader (Chick Inn and Captain's Quarters) and contemplating our unemployment options between jobs - selling pottery for the Sandman and mowing greens at Audobon Country Club. Centre College and our parents must have been so proud, although I vaguely remember Toots screaming at us both daily about job fairs while firing the Classifieds in our direction.

When Evan told me that ESPN had split up Harold and Krukky, the most formidable duo in baseball history, I was speechless. I screamed, he wept, we blankly stared, we drank away our sorrows, and there may have been a hug. Harold Reynolds, minus the inappropriate behavior towards women which we never condoned, was our hero, and then without warning, he was gone, never to be seen on BBTN, the College World Series (where he undoubtedly harassed Erin Andrews), or the Little League World Series again.

He surfaced on MLB.com last summer, but even for Harold I refused to pay the $14.95/month to watch the games. So that brings me to today, when I tuned into TBS for the Cubs-Marlins game and found Harold Reynolds back in the booth, for the whole nation to see. I could finally move on with my life knowing that my idol was back in the saddle. I can only hope he will keep his hands off of his female co-workers until the playoffs are over, or for at least the next week so he will be in the booth for the Yankees-Angels next Sunday. Thank you Ted Turner, thank you TBS.

Note: Reynolds may have been broadcasting these Sunday TBS games all season, but this was probably the first time I watched. Another note, Samardzija was "nasty" once again today, striking out three for a two-inning save.

3 comments:

Gene Parmesan said...

I think this was his first game on TBS. Well put. I love HR...only, he kind of sucked in the booth.

Anonymous said...

Chick Inn and Captain's Quarters are a double dip even Ernie Banks would be proud of.

Anonymous said...

Jed