Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Andrew Siciliano Blows

Like four years ago, Siciliano (probably spelled wrong, so he'll be Dr.D-bag from here out) filled in for Rome and I pegged him the best sports radio personality ever. He was funny, entertaining, engaging, and he spoke with a certain swagger and confidence that made him kind of a dick, yet endearing. He had fun, playful, yet aggressive arguments with listeners, and he seemed to know a lot of what he was talking about. He seemed very prepared, as he also does when filling in for Rome on the TV show (which is still called "Rome is Burning," even when mega-chump Doug Gottlieb fills in). Recently, while working nights, I found that Dr. D-bag had a show at 7PM called "Gametime" where he updates all of the current game and speaks to their significance, trends, etc. I thought it was a great concept; it's fucking lame.

I began listening at the beginning of the year, and the show wasn't half bad. It kept me abreast of the college b-ball action of the night, and Dr. D-bag was his endearing and engaging self that I remembered from Rome's show. Most of the material was unscripted, and he can be kind of funny. My only (major) annoyance was his constant obsession with talking about shitty Syracuse. It wasn't like he would mention them and openly root for them, at least an hour of the show was him arguing with callers about whether or not they sucked. It was pretty annoying, but it would end quickly and rarely cut into the actual show. He was good at doing his schtick during slow times of games, or when there were no games of interest. He also had some slutty little skank report all the news, Crystal, and their fake-flirting banter was pretty stupid, but tolerable. I haven't listened for some time, but I am again working nights so I thought I'd go right back to Dr. D-bag and the skank. My God this show sucks.

It was last Friday, so I understand they had little to talk about as far as actual games. I was ready for some NBA talk and maybe some previews of the college football games of Saturday, but what I got was completely different. The show began with skank talking about how these cops she banged in some alley (I may be getting the story wrong) giving her a ride when she couldn't get a cab. Dr. D-bag took offense because they should have been working, but as she had mentioned thirty times, they were off duty. So, basically, her story was that someone gave her a ride. First of all, that's the least engaging story I have ever heard. It was literally told like a Jeopardy interview; very lame, pointless, and awkward. Furthermore, I wanted it to be over as soon as possible (shut up Trebek! We'll never get through all of the first round!) Anyway, the banter, scripted by a couple of methed-up high school freshman, was so stupid and fake. To make matters completely unbearable, Dr. D-bag has this fake laugh that makes you want to stab your own face off.

Scripted stories are bad; when they are bad stories, they're worse. The story didn't make sense, and they argued about it for the first hour. They took calls! It was so awful.

Not awful: Ohio State lost! Their mighty defense couldn't stop the same exact play 4 times in a row. They did, however, get the last laugh as they began punching the Illini after the game. Good job, tools; enjoy getting blasted in your bowl again.

I watched the replay of the Vandy game, and, I never say this, but the officiating was atrocious. From the missed fumble call to the pass interference penalties to some phantom holds, those guys were middle school bad. Also, the Ashton Cobb hit, while vicious, was not dirty. Dude was pushing for more yards; got laid out. Deal with it. He wasn't trying to hurt him; he was trying to blow him up. He did; it's unfortunate he was concussed, but these things happen. Vandy fans are crying foul and reacting just as any dork would after getting a wedgie. An atomic wedgie.

BTW, Eric Gordon is scary good.

No comments: