Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pee-Vee

So, Jake Peavy got rocked, eh? Touched up by the mighty Cubs. Oh, and Barbara Walters is a slut.

I got a post ready to go public on KSR concerning the rankings done by Lindy's something or other (Bozich mentioned it on his blog). Anyway, they rank UL 57th, and UK 63rd. I am (barely) outraged! However, how much time did these jokers put into ranking teams past #50? Still, give me a damn break. The Cay-ards ahead of us? On what basis...besides us losing our offense. But you guys lost Brohm, remember? And don't start stumping for Cantwell; I will not be sold on him until he runs the dreaded Kragthorpe offense.

On my way to work last night, I was listening to the local ESPN Radio affiliate, which was a show out of Columbia (SC). They do a pretty good job, and it was interesting. One guy, however, continued to make over-qualified statements about pretty much every topic. They began talking about Southern Cal, and he said that the NCAA was a joke, and that they care more about changing teams mascots from Native American names than the Mayo situation, etc. The problem here, other than the obvious overstatement, is that this guy wants the death penalty for USC RIGHT NOW! If it was up to this guy, any news of cheating or illegal activity at a school would be punished. He mentioned IU as well, and that they haven't been punished for the Sampson shit. But, they will, asshole. Wait a little bit. The Mayo situation smells bad, I agree. But you don't fucking know. Let the NCAA investigate, and they will punish accordingly. Chill.

Next, he launched into a tirade about the NCAA being the minor leagues for the NBA and NFL. I was like, 'OK, he'll discuss the stupidity that is the one and done rule.' Nope. His argument was no one goes to class...or something. I don't really remember. I agree with him, that kids like Beasley and Mayo probably didn't set foot in a classroom starting in January, but what are they, .000005% of college athletes? Kind of a blanket statement, jerk-off. Haven't you seen that commercial? "...Most of us are going pro in something other than athletics..."

Whatever. Fine arguments. I disagreed. Then they brought up UK. They only talked about this subject for a couple of minutes, but Johnny hard-ass talked about how the move was stupid and lacked integrity. He also said that Gillispie wouldn't be arount in two years, so he'll never see these kids play. Further, he talked about how stupid it was to do something like this.

I'm actually OK with much of this. However, my only argument is, how does this joker know? Also, UK is not, as this guy said, the only to have done this or does this. Damon Bailey was like 3 when Knight started recruiting him. Anyway, I don't want to get into this again, and how we can basically back out of these offers if the player doesn't pan-out, but let's wait and see. If Zollo and Avery blow and we tell them to get bent, then maybe we can discuss how these moves lack integrity. Otherwise, I'm A-OK with it.

I wrote a lot and didn't think a lot, so what's written above isn't all that good, funny, or thorough. Sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was funny and pretty good and I was glad to be reading it. Couple things though: 1) Cantwell is awesome. 2) I hate UK, but I agree with you Evan, I don't think it was a bad move on UK's part, desperate looking maybe, but not stupid. They will just turn their backs on these kids if they flop, so really, it was just stupid on the part of the kids because now they will probably only be actively recruited by half of the teams who would have, thus limiting their own opportunities (plus anytime anyone signs with UK I think it quite stupid). That said, if what the kid's Mom said was true- that Gillispe "wept and proclaimed that it was the greatest day of his life when he signed the letter of intent"- then let me just say that I couldn't be happier that such a douch is coaching at UK.

Anonymous said...

It's spelled "douche", John.

Love,
Jed