Sunday, April 19, 2009

Great Start to a Sunday

So, I'm sittin' on the couch, drinking my coffee, and watching Sportscenter because if you wake up after 9:00 on a Sunday, you're forced to watch Bob Ryan and Lupica wax idiotic about the struggling Yankees or some shit. But, there I was having an epiphany.

I like Manny Ramirez.

He's like that stupid person you hung out with all the time (or he hung out with you), and he bothered you so much because he was really irresponsible, and disrespectful, and he looked stupid, and he was rude, and he said stupid things, and he thought he was way more valuable than he really was, and he kept trying to drive up one-year, 45-million dollar deals with his agent...OK, nobody has a friend like that, but I digress.

Anyway, this morning, all the bitterness I had towards him for his terrible defense, idiotic behavior, and all-around jackassery went away when I watched the Dodgers highlights. I may have the details a bit off, but you'll get the gist:

First inning, Manny crushes one to left-center (on a high, inside pitch): 1-0

Second inning, Manny doinks a routine fly ball off his glove. They show Chad Billinglsey on the mound, and he's perturbed, but not showing him up or anything...it's Manny.

At this point, I think to myself, "What a retard. Watching him run after the dropped ball, stupid, floppy hair bouncing around, he sucks. Billingsley should kick him in the balls when they get back to the dugout."

No runs scored however, so no harm no foul.

Third inning, Manny crushes a rope down the left field line. 2-0

And with that, I laugh to no one but myself. The guy is hilariously talented at the plate. So much so, that no matter how fucking terrible he is at defense, personal hygiene, and decorum, the guy flat fucking rakes, and it is fun to watch him hit.

It was as if this conversation occurred after the second inning:

Manny: Hey #58, pitcher guy...my bad on that fly ball. They didn't score that inning, did they?

Chad: No, they didn't. Don't sweat it. It just added another 10 pitches to my pitch count in my second start of the season.

Manny:
Pitch count?

Chad: Yeah, early in the season, we like to...never mind. Anyway, don't worry about it.

Manny: I hit you a homer this inning, make up for it.

Chad: Yeah, all right, that'd be great. (eye roll)

Manny: All right...who am I up after? (wanders off)

And with that, almost as if it blew away with the warm, Pacific breeze at Chavez Ravine and one swing of the bat, my hatred for Manny is gone. He's just funny to watch.

I still hate Papelbon, though. That guy is a douche.

P.S. Pitino is in quite a bundle at the moment. Hope that all works out OK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jed,

Do you like Manny more or less now? I say we get him to come to Evan's Bach Party.

Thom